How do I move the driver's seat back further?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what you mean - it just doesn't seem to go back far enough, but while I suppose a mod is possible, there would be safety concerns. With this car in particular, I'd be loath to go drilling any new holes in the passenger compartment floor.

I'd note that the driver's seat is very adjustable, so don't give up on it too quickly. In addition to the usual fore/aft and seatback angle adjustments, there's also a height adjustment, and you've got lots of headroom to play with. Especially since the steering wheel doesn't tilt/telescope, I had to play around with all these quite a bit to find a good position. At first I thought there was no way I'd manage enough legroom, but finally got everything angled just right, though I can't really vary it.

There's also this:

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1822

You can also use Eco mode to allow the throttle pedal to get a little closer to the floor for the same power output.

Vike,
I have the seat as high as it will go. It helps but need a little more.

PV1,
Read that earlier. Removing the dead pedal would help the laft leg but not the right. Eco mode looks like it may help but drivability suffers.

Maybe I can use the existing mount points on the floor and mod the seat to attach further back...

Not sure what you mean by "drivability suffers." Sure, the car won't seem as 'peppy', but you can definitely still get full power output by flooring it, as you do in the other modes. This is my mode of choice since fine tuning the power is more difficult in the other modes for me.

The front seat mount bolts are studs sticking out of the floor, the rears are weld nuts in the floor pan. There is no way, short of removing the battery pack (not really too hard) to move the seat track further rearward. Other then moving the bolt locations, I can't think of a safe, easy way to move the seat assembly to the rear. Be advised, if you remove the seat and disconnect the connectors under the seat with the battery connected, you will set an airbag code that will require a trip to the friendly Mitsubishi dealer to reset. The stored code will tell the dealer which connecter was disconnected. You could always do like I did and stand there with a dumb look on you face and say "what connectors? I never looked under the seat, one must be loose or something" :lol: .

OldGeek said:
Is there a mod?

After increasing my leg fitness a lot now my right leg is cramping up when I hit the brakes.

I looked at the 4 attach seat bolts. Seems not too difficult to fabricate 4 short plates that shift the seat back about approximately 1.5 to 2 inches (Need to measure before fab...). Moving back more looks more complicated for the design.

Each plate would be about 1 x (3 to 3.5) x 1/4 inch with a hole near each end. One side takes the original nut and bolt, while the other side takes a new nut and bolt and seat bracket. At least one of the plates would need a big joggle to go over something underneath.

If I get it done with a simple and easy to install design, I will consider making more for sale.

Raise the bridge or lower the river

There was 1 easy mod posted a while back that helped somewhat - i can't find it & forget who posted it but it was to remove the left foot dead pedal - apparently it's just a piece of Styrofoam under the carpet , it helps to gain about 2-3 inches for the left foot.
I might try it out in the spring.

Back