i-Miev armrest

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How's come you sold your i-MiEV?

Nice armrest, by the way. Does the parking brake still function with the armrest in place?

**EDIT** Nevermind about why you sold it, I found it here. http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1965

Indeed- I snapped up that armrest. Jkontur's use of an expanding rubber pipe testing plug makes it a very quick n easy fit, easily removed, and not too much pressure on the plastics, which was my main concern. If someone were to try so support all their weight on the armrest, I think it would just pop out of place before cracking the console... e-brake has plenty of space, but if I were to rebuilt it, I'd go taller to reach ye olde elbow and include a cup holder. Kontur, I know the sale wasn't worth your trouble, but thanks for passing it on to an appreciative new home. :)

FYI the following center armrest sold for the Yaris is a perfect fit for the i-MiEV. Fits right in the rear cupholder with no modifications whatsoever - everything looks and remains totally stock. Looks great, very inexpensive, and very comfortable place to rest elbows. Front storage and rear cupholder included! Available on eBay or Amazon. Not actual leather covering, but leatherette material in black is a great match for SE interior.

US Car Center Armrest Leather Console Storage Box For 2006-2010 Toyota Yaris AM

41AvGumwZLL._SY355_.jpg

sheinr4143 said:
US Car Center Armrest Leather Console Storage Box For 2006-2010 Toyota Yaris AM
I ordered one of these yesterday on eBay for $38 with free shipping. It shipped this morning. I'll let every one know what it looks like and how it fits when it gets here

Don

Below is a photo of the installed armrest. I did not bother to remove the Yaris tab from the cupholder insert and did not use any of the supplied hardware because the friction joint with the MiEV cupholder provides all the support one needs. Notice that there is no obstruction for seat back angle adjustment, parking brake actuation, or seat belt locking. This aftermarket item definitely hits the sweet spot!

IMG_0849.jpg

sheinr4143 Thank you for sharing this great information Really easy and practical at a great price .
:D
Hope you don't mind - I shared this information with our local (AVEQ) Forum here in Quebec

So you just push it into the cup holder ?
That would be sweet. I just have my sunglasses in that spot, would be nice to put them inside an arm rest and room for a little more.

Can someone post a pic of what it looks like inside? And maybe with something in it so we get a good idea how the room is?

Also, this Friday the 25th there is a Sale on Amazon Prime... $67 a year, but only this friday

Mine arrive today

It's an *almost* fit - Not sure what I'm going to have to modify to *make* it fit . . . . likely the OEM console, so it won't be an easily removable, completely back to stock mod when I'm done with it

What's wrong? First, it sits too high - At least an inch and a half too high. The Yaris evidently has a larger cup holder than the iMiEV and theirs is lots more tapered than ours. In a Yaris I'm sure it goes all the way down into the cup holder and makes a tight connection. In an iMiEV, it doesn't. When the armrest is placed in our car, the too small cup holder doesn't let it go down to the bottom like it should - It comes with hardware to bolt it in, but the bolt is way too short to reach the bottom of our cup holder. The small top on our cup holder won't let the armrest go down the final inch and a half like it should and since the armrest 'plug' for the cup holder is lots more tapered, the bottom of it is way too small for our cup holder and that allows the armrest to wobble side to side and/or forward and back

*If* you're happy with it being too darned high (and I'm not) then it would be simple enough to take the console off and bolt the two together using a longer bolt - That would make it much more solid. You could also try wrapping the bottom end of the armrest 'plug' with tape until you got it to be the same diameter as the console cup holder - Actually doing that before you bolted it in would be best. That would make it lots less wobbly, but it's still way too darned high . . . . not comfortable to rest your arm on at all

Not sure what I'm going to modify, but other than the poor fit, I LOVE the look and feel of this armrest and the extra storage will sure come in handy

Stay tuned!

Don

Well, it's in and done! - Only modification to the car is that I drilled a 1/4 inch hole on the bottom of the cup holder so I could both the two together

First, I cur the 'plug' off the armrest - Figured I'd rather screw up a $38 aftermarket part than a piece of the car. After I cut the plug off, I reinserted it from the inside, but it didn't go down far enough to engage the cup holder to be solid, so I sanded the inside of the new hole in the armrest until the plug stuck out enough to make a tight fit in the iMiEV's cup holder. Drilled a hole in the center of the plug, put about a 2 1/2 inch 1/4/20 bolt through both pieces and tightened them together. I did use a monster fender washer under the cup holder to keep from breaking it when I torqued everything down. I have before and after pictures, but no way to post them

It sits about 1 1/4 inches lower now than before and it is SOLID - No wobbling in any direction. IMO. it's still a tad bit too high for absolute comfort, but it's much, much better than before. I'm guessing there is also an elevation difference between our cup holder and the one in the Yaris so it very probably does sit lower in a Yaris, but it's now low enough to be usable

Looks stock - I doubt we'll ever take it out of the car, so I didn't worry too much about having to drill the hole. A very nice $38 addition to the car!

Don

Mine came today and I haven't had time to play with it so I just stuck it in and drove down into town and back (10 miles). My right arm took took to the armrest like a duck to water - the height is just right for me to rest my elbow and my fingers on the steering wheel. Yeah, it wobbles slightly and I'll look into mounting it better when I have time, but the wobble is really very slight. I like the rear-protruding cupholder and the coin tray, and the leatherette(?) looks and smells like real leather (what'll they think of next?). I found myself grabbing the hand brake from the side instead of over the top... need some time with this armrest to pass final judgement, but initial impression is very positive.

Mine arrived today in a crushed box but unhurt. I agree it sits a bit tall , but will wait a bit b4 modding. Having used a DIY pipe plug- based armrest for quite a while, I like that removable mounting method that also will break free without breaking the cup holder.

When I installed my arm rest (the other ebay model) I modified it to fit in the cup holder unbolted so it can swing and have left it this way.
I find it easier to put on seat belt when wearing a winter jacket.
It also sits high but comfortable to my arm.
Since I shift a lot ,I decided to raise the gear shift knob.
I found this made shifting a lot easier with the added leverage as well

Mine should arrive today.
Bought at Amazon for $45 and free shipping (good way to try out my new Prime account).

I see good points for both having it bolted on and being able to remove it .
I think I too will just stick it in and see how it is. Then play with how I want it after about a month.

sandange has a good point about Winter jackets. I usually wear my old Navy Camo jacket in the Winter, so it is slightly bulky.

We've belonged to Amazon Prime now for two years, but they're not always the best deal. In this case, we bought the armrest on eBay for $37.52 with free shipping. I've found that many times, Amazon is actually charging you a hefty fee for their 'free' 2 day shipping

Don

Back