iMiev 2009 conversion for 16 amp charging

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonathanwilson

Does anyone out there (in the UK) have experience, positive or negative, with converting the 2009 and earlier models to allow 16 amp charging? I have found an outfit called Charging Solutions Limited based on Wales who can organise the conversion which allows both 16 amp charging using the type 2 Mennekes cable and a standard 13 amp cable. They achieve this by adding a Mode 3 communicator to the vehicle. The cost is around £750 + VAT. There are fewer and fewer 13 amp charging points in London and more and more 16 amp ones - hence the conversion is becoming essential. Mitsubishi UK (Colt Motors) will take no responsibility for the conversion, which I find hard to understand or accept. In fact I am pretty furious about it. Does anyone have any advice or experience on the conversion - positive or negative? Jonathan Wilson

I'm interested in this too......my 2010 (Aus spec) has the J1772 connector but won't work with a level 2 J1772 public charger.
Which happens to be the only public charger in my area....

Hi

im new to this forum and just thinking about purchasing a secondhand imiev in the uk, i dont fully understand the charging options for this car in the UK can anybody explain please.? I understand i can re charge the car with a 3 pin plug and lead which will take like is it 12 hours ? Or i can have a home charging station installed for about £300 , does that sound correct so far.? If i then drive on the motorway i understand that I may be able to use a rapid charging station is that 16kw and am i needing to convert a uk car to use these, this is the bit im unsure off , I assumed all Imieve in Uk could use these charging points at all uk service stations without any modifications etc , can somebody please explain the options for the imiev in the uk please ?

The car comes with a 3.3 Kw onboard charger. Charging L2 at 240 VAC @ 16 amps would equal more than 3.8 Kw. I don't see this as a realistic possibility

Don

Back