Side window deflectors?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbW

Anyone have these on their i? If so, can you tell how much airflow, if any, there is into the cabin when the windows are rolled down slightly but not lower than the bottom edge of the deflectors? Also, how well do they work with keeping rain out of the cabin when you have your windows cracked? I'm considering getting these because I love driving with my windows down for the fresh air, but my daughter HATES having the windows down. I'm wondering if the deflectors would be a good compromise: fresh air for me without daughter's hair getting blown all around?

I've been thinking about these too, though for a different reason. The sun is very intense here (southwest desert at high altitude), and it would be nice to open the windows on the "shaded" side of the car and crack the windows on the "sunny" side without exposing driver or passenger to direct sunlight.

Either way, I'm thinking I'd better make up my mind soon. Mitsu's comments about resuming U.S. i-MiEV shipments eventually have not reassured me on the parts & accessories front. Best act before the bin's empty?

We do have them and yes, they make a difference.

Most important I can open the windows even in the rain and I need to, because my EVSE is in the trunc. Power gets in and the charge cord goes out through the window. Without them I did have the rain in the car on both sides mostly.

Driving up to some 45 kilometers per hour or 30 miles per hour is survivable and I can keep my windows open at night, a slit that is.

Opening the windows down to the bottom I dont remember if they make a difference, but I guess they do.

Cheers
Peter and Karin

Peter, thanks for the input. I'm happy to hear they help. I ordered a full set of brand new OEM i-MiEV wind deflectors from an auto parts retailer on eBay for $35. I ordered them yesterday (Friday) at 1pm. When I got home from running some errands today, they were waiting for me at my front door! Talk about service and quick delivery. Of course, they were only coming from Green Bay to Chicago. So they didn't have far to travel. Anyway, I installed them myself this evening. It wasn't too bad of a DIY install. However, there was one step that was a little tricky as there are mini metal brackets you have to install that anchor the deflectors to the door frame. Those were a bit of a PITA. Other than that, everything went very well, and the deflectors look great on the i. Can't wait to get out and run some more errands tomorrow to see how they perform!

Do you have reference to the site on ebay that you purchased them from? At that price I'll purchase too and being you installed them with no problem I will know they will work ok

I have just installed a set of these side window deflectors and love them, especially in my warm climate where rain showers occur frequently. I can lower each window enough to allow in fresh air but not rain.

Like RobbW, I, too, found installing the small clips to be challenging initially. Trying to install the clip on both the door frame and the raised deflector clip area simultaneously was almost impossible. I then discovered that clipping it first to the door frame on either side of the deflector clip area, lifting the deflector up, sliding the clip sideways to align with the deflector clip area, and then allowing the deflector to drop down while pushing it against the door frame would almost always result in the clip attaching to the deflector. It isn't easy to see all of this through the smoke-tinted deflector, but one can work successfully by feel, if necessary.

I bought my deflectors for $70 ($10 under dealer retail) from Mitsu Parts World a week before RobbW posted about buying his from an eBay site for $35 :( The shipping cost to Honolulu was less for Mitsu Parts World compared with the eBay site, but the eBay total cost was still less. Oh, well… But I am unable to find that eBay site now which makes me think that RobbW's good price is no longer available.

Another thing I really like about the window deflectors is that they make the i-MiEV look sleeker, thinner, and less bulbous. I took this side-by-side photo of my Meepster and the first i-MiEV we've seen since buying ours. It's kind of hard to tell due to the angle, but my car on the right appears more streamlined than the car on the left, at least it does to me.

1233984_10201194908129197_1701144519_n.jpg

These deflectors are a good accessory. Definitely for charging in the rain, letting air through when fogging up inside... Thus saving on AC.

Looks are also a plus.

I would just recommend some caution as in my case visibility to front-left was a bit reduced and a few times I did not immediately see pedestrians starting to cross as they were between the bodywork of front and left window and the deflectors darkened the visibility as well.

Other than that a must for the i.

True. Always be mindful of your environment and those around you.

These deflectors are miracle workers for me. They allow me to have fresh air flowing through the car without my passengers getting upset about all the wind of a fully-opened window. It clears out the inside fog caused by breathing. It allows fresh air into the car even when it is raining. And they look great. I can't recommend them enough. There's really no downside to installing them.

Back