ScanGauge II or Ultragauge - useful or not?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilBlanchard

I'm wondering if plugging a ScanGauge II or Ultragauge into the ODB II plug in the i MiEV would let you see the range remaining and the rate of energy use and the remaining charge, etc. - without having to scroll through the stock display on the dash? Has anybody tried this? If not, I can see if I can.

Neil - I've tried both, neither works. There are a couple of CAN-bus reverse-engineering threads on this forum, but I'm afraid they've stalled out. Alternative is to buy a Mitsubishi MUT-3 diagnostic package. I'm still hoping our CAN-bus team can cobble up something that I can buy/build whereby I could monitor the individual cells of our battery pack.

JoeS said:
I'm still hoping our CAN-bus team can cobble up something that I can buy/build whereby I could monitor the individual cells of our battery pack.

But, that's possible, right?

bt_can.png

The CanIon is the best we have right now but it does take an Android device and a bluetooth OBDII connector. I've got my modified LeafCan working, just testing and debugging the code. The LeafCan is a 16x2 LED display, so it doesn't have the nice graphics that the CanIon has but it is small and compact and shows the relevant data. If you can get a hold of a LeafCan and want the modified MiEVCan code, let me know. I'll post pictures and more on the appropriate thread when I have it mounted and fully functional.

RobbW said:
Anyone know of or is working on an iOS version?

Not that I've heard of, but you are always welcome to develop one. Priusfan has the code and may be willing to share it with you. With that you can surmise what you need to build the iOS version. I'm a .net developer, I was able to use my c# skills to decypher the LeafCan code and with the code priusfan presented I was able to finish the MiEVCan. There are two threads on this subject in the Tech folder.

I know absolutely nothing about app development. So... I'll just wait until someone else does the dirty work! It's not like I really NEED this info anyway. It just has pretty graphics. Me likey!

So I got a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, and an OBDLink MX Bluetooth Scan Tool and hooked it up to my i-MiEV using Martin's App CaniOn from the German forum. Here's my battery temperatures while charging. I'm wondering why 64 is so much higher compared to its neighbors. Also, I was wondering if the temperatures would go down if I could get the fan to run during L2 charging. Member siai47 any suggestions?
XlfCnF6.png

RobertC,

Very interesting graph of battery temps.
Yes, why are there battery spikes? Position in pack?
It would be interesting to see a comparison between L1 and L2 temps at similar states of charge and ambient temp.

Silver, 2012, ES with QC.

More screens from CaniOn:
Amps 15 minutes (notice when I floored it, and regen)
dd5KQUZ.png

Accelerator Pedal 15 minutes (follows amps)
kXwIeIo.png

Volts 30 minutes (notice the drop when I floored it)
i0Q4Yx3.png

Speed 15 minutes
MrlrKMl.png

Battery Status
LIiWHPE.png

Battery Temperature (after driving, 64 cooled 2 degrees)
2RcctJY.png

State of Charge 1 hour
ZJmLN7H.png

Lithim said:
It would be interesting to see a comparison between L1 and L2 temps at similar states of charge and ambient temp.
It's 86 degrees F (30 degrees C) and humid today in my garage in New Jersey.
Temperature sensor number 64 was at 39 degrees C (102 degrees F).

To member RobertC. If you have either the QC or warmer option, you can cool the pack very well during charging. You must remove the actuator on the drivers side of the heater floor duct. It's just one connector and a couple of screws. Put the actuator on a coffee table or in a drawer because you really don't need it. Find the arm the acutator operates--it should be in the position to deliver air from the heater air floor duct. Move the arm to the opposite position and (if you have the HVAC system set on the floor position and the blower running) it should shut off the air and send it to the battery pack. When charging, set the A/C temp to cold, A/C on, and air distribution to "floor". Start you L2 charging and then using the remote, turn the climate control system to "cool" and watch your battery temps. I may take some time to react due to the thermal mass of the battery cells, but the temps will not climb and should actually fall. Works for me.

There is an option on Garmin GPS units called EcoRoute and it appears to be a Bluetooth link to the OBD II port and it transmits data to the UPS unit; as well as (trying?) to use more efficient routes.

Back