jray3

Re: Range extender !

Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:24 am

To paraphrase Forrest Gump: "His dream had come true. PV1 was a Solar Roller."
;)

I'm betting that's not been pulled down the road and is just a pose with a bicycle trailer at some alt energy fair.
Last edited by jray3 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 105,400 miles
2000 Mazda Miata EV, 78 kW, 17 kWh
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt EV,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

GdB

Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:31 pm

That's a cute trailer. I hope you don't get a stupid letter of the law ticket for towing your trailer in the wrong lane on the freeway.

I'm not sure why that law exists. Some big box trucks are longer than your setup and they can go in any lane.

If thin film high efficiency PV's were not too expensive and a simple way exited to connect directly to the main battery, that could be useful. I figured it could let me avoid one charge per week when I don't do a lot of miles.

A fully covered PV roof with 1 kWh per sunny day would allow around 20 PV powered miles per week.
My EVs: 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV and 2019 Hyundai Kona Electric SEL

PV1
Site Moderator

Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:33 pm

That trailer is for my electric bicycle. I was loading it into the i-MiEV (fits perfectly) when the idea hit me to hitch it to the car for a gag. I didn't drive anywhere with it.

Either way, that trailer can barely charge the bike under its current setup, let alone provide anything useful to the i-MiEV. Small format NiMH batteries can't deliver the amps I need for a inverter -> charger setup, so I need to get a DC-DC converter for it. It's great for running a booth at events, though. Plenty of power for a tablet and public phone charging. Still trying to figure out version 2 to have more power, weigh less, and still fit in the i-MiEV.

jray3 wrote:I'm betting that's not been pulled down the road and is just a pose with a bicycle trailer at some alt energy fair.

Bingo.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

jray3

Pusher in action!

Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:08 pm

On my Christmas travels, I linked up with a gent who was inspired by my pusher trailer musings and simply got 'er done! He used the entire pan(chassis) of an old VW beetle, welded a ball coupler to the front frame head, and just tied the throttle wide open! He drove two hours from home to meet us and allow me to experience driving the pusher without any detours on our part! After a 122 mile drive, we discussed the details over a nice dinner.

Operation is as follows; drive around town towing the pusher off and in Neutral, and then pull over and shift into 4th at the top of an on-ramp, lug the engine up to speed and flip on the ignition. Then it roars to life and starts adding power. Since his EV weighs over 4000 lb and has cruise control, the pusher engine can push it's little heart out without regard for hills or the speed limit. The cruise control simply brings in more regen to scrub off speed, or adds electric power to help climb hills. His pusher engine is completely unenclosed and has dual unmuffled exhausts, yet the engine is very quiet way back there. I had to roll down the window to listen for pinging, etc. when deliberately stressing the engine (briefly). Pusher operation was smoother and simpler than I had dared to imagine, and when deliberately operating in charge-sustaining mode (stayed above 80% SOC), we got 22 mpg at 55 mph over 122 miles on a very hilly highway; exactly his long-term average. Not bad for a salvaged aircooled engine with noticeable blow-by pushing nearly 5000 lbs through the mountains.

The gent and his EV particulars are anonymized for now due to his concerns about OEM warranty coverage. He is racking up EV miles at an unnatural rate. ;-)

Added Technical tidbits follow.
-Since the engine's too quiet to reliably hear if it experiences trouble, and the cruise control seamlessly maintains speed if the engine lags, he's tied the oil pressure sender to a LOUD backup alarm. This means that if the engine stops running with the key on (such as if you turn the key on while stopped) the trailer starts screeching horribly. He added this feature after blowing up his first engine... :o
-Even with the full VW pan and frame head (but no axle beam) and forged steel Bulldog coupler welded in place, tongue weight was very manageable, I'd estimate a bit over 50 lb.
-Fuel tanks were just two 5 gal plastic cans with a modified cap passing through the fuel hose.
-As a safety, he added a magnetic reed switch that depowers the engine when brakes are applied. This created an unwanted side effect causes the engine to surge on and off in sync with the turn signals! You see, trailer wiring harnesses combine the brake and turn signal into a single filament, so the turn signals were cutting power to his ignition coil! A fix is in the works.

This generous gent also presented me with a wiring harness that would literally turn any engine (or entire towed car) into a pusher with just two quick wiring connections. It's a 12 Volt 'cigarette lighter' plug that uses the tow vehicle accessory outlet to power the pusher's ignition coil. Of course, that's not quite as safe as his brake-interlock design because the engine will push until someone manually pulls the plug, but it'll do for testing purposes.

Thusly inspired, I installed it on the olde JB Straubel pusher trailer last night, and intend to do a road test tonight. I found some faults in JB's old control wiring, so bypassed that mess and wired it direct. I also fabbed up a better gearshift lever than the old vice-grips, and cut away the questionable fuel hose and tank selector valve, re-installing a single marine gas tank on the only properly fabbed bracket.

Today I'm ordering the last part for my planned electric clutch actuator, which will enable the operator to declutch without stopping and walking back to the trailer. That'll be good for unplanned stops and seamless merging onto the highway.

iwatson

Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:35 pm

Believe it or not, your friend has been talked about before on an internet video. His EV is mentioned in the Video. I can't remember the name of the website the video is on, but it's from some guys in Cape Girardeau, Missouri that run an aftermarket EV shop. Their EV Video news podcasts are quite lengthy, running as long as 4 hours.
2012 Raspberry imiev SE Premium
2017 Cajun Red Chevrolet Bolt EV
2011 Viridian Joule Chevrolet Volt
2008 Cadillac SRX
2002 Forest River Sunseeker 3100
2001 Buick LeSabre
1997 Chrysler Town & Country

Don
Site Moderator

Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:56 pm

Jack Rickard at http://www.evtv.me

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

jray3

Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:51 pm

Yup, the gent got nervous after that EVTV spot. I was gonna write an article for insideevs.com, but he'd rather wait out the warranty!
;-)

jray3

The pusher lives!

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:20 pm

Took my first test drives today after making a few minor repairs and getting the engine running. I Haven't opened the fixed throttle position past 75-80% yet, but that's enough to cruise at 55-60 on the flats. Going uphill, the little engine at 75% needs some electric boost, and full regen on even steep highway downhills (by barely touching the brake pedal) pours amps into the pack and keeps speed in check. The engine is luxury quiet back there on the trailer, and the pushing action is very smooth, as is the pulling when the engine is lugged up to speed before enabling the ignition. The only time the trailer bucks and rattles is when pulling away from a stop in 4th gear with the ignition switched off. Surprisingly, the 'dead'engine being pulled in 4th is smooth all the way down to 8mph before it bucks. Tonight I added a clutch actuator, built from an electric seat adjustment motor with a lead screw. Haven't run the control wires yet, so road testing of that enhancement is next, plus I need to gas up! The first gallon didn't last long! :twisted:

RobertC

Re: Pusher in action!

Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:28 am

jray3 wrote:On my Christmas travels, I linked up with a gent who was inspired by my pusher trailer musings and simply got 'er done! He used the entire pan(chassis) of an old VW beetle, welded a ball coupler to the front frame head, and just tied the throttle wide open! He drove two hours from home to meet us and allow me to experience driving the pusher without any detours on our part! After a 122 mile drive, we discussed the details over a nice dinner.
I think this is it. I blacked out his vehicle to help him stay anonymous.

”Red” - 2018 Red Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive Tesla Model 3 - 11/27/18
“Blue” - 2018 Kinetic Blue Chevy Bolt Premier with QC - 5/13/18
"Purple" - 2012 Raspberry Metallic ES with QC - 4/10/2013

sandange

Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:58 am

Oh Yea
:D
Looking at that reminds me of the Dune Buggy I built in the late 60's
Tesla Model 3 SR+, 2019
Previous EVs
Puey Bluey 2014 Miev
200,000 km , 124.000 miles.
Blackie - 2012 ES Miev 2 years - 67,000 km / (41,630 miles)
http://thecordstead.blogspot.ca/

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”