bennelson

Re: Upgrading the heating system to bioethanol or Diesel fue

Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:25 am

OK, I just got all my videos and some photos posted together in one location about my fuel-heater installation. You can see it at my web page:
http://300mpg.org/imiev-heater-installation/

Thanks to everyone on this forum for their posts, photos, videos, and advice!

databeestje

Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:38 am

After seeing the videos it gave me a lot more confidence that I can actually do this myself. I'll probably order something similar for the next winter, as having 30km more range (110 over 80) and a warm car to boot is very useful indeed.

Thanks a lot for such detailed videos and editing. Much appreciated.

Phximiev

Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:01 pm

Do you heat the traction battery as well?
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

bennelson

Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:23 pm

The car is already the "deluxe" version, including CHAdeMO charging and heated mirrors.
So, the battery pack is connected to the HVAC system and already does direct heated air into the battery pack automatically. I have not modified that system at all. I couldn't tell you off-hand the exact temperature at which it does that, or what else controls it. Other members could better answer that than I.

But yes, the battery pack is heated.

bennelson

Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:50 pm

Here's a couple of screen grabs to help get a better sense of what the fuel-burning heater is doing.

Apologies for the images being small - they are screen grabs from a cheap Android phone running CanIon.

Here, you can see what a large percent of the car's energy is going to just running the heat. That grab is from a few weeks back, when it was rather cold, and BEFORE I had installed the parking heater.

In this screen grab, you can see the difference in heating temperature between the stock electric heater and the aftermarket fuel-burning heater. In the first part of the chart at a little over 160 degrees F, that's the parking heater running. The drop in the chart straight down is when there was a loss in communications, and a long break in time. The temperature around 140 degrees is running the electric heat. Near the end of the chart, where the temperature is rising again, is after I fired the parking heater back up again.

wmcbrine

Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:01 pm

bennelson wrote:Image
Here, you can see what a large percent of the car's energy is going to just running the heat.

Er, how do I tell what's being used for heat from that picture?

PV1
Site Moderator

Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:18 am

Blue represents energy consumption for motive power and 12 volt accessories. The red represents HVAC usage (at least the heater, maybe the AC, I'm not sure), and the green shows Wh regenerated. The white lines show the net Wh between consumption and regen.

Looking at the graph, between 50-100 Wh of energy per Km is going to the heater. The first bar, for example, shows 100 Wh of heater, 150 Wh of motive power, and roughly 10 Wh of regen.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

bennelson

Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:47 am

Yes, so on the first bar of that graph, that means that 40% of the total power of the car is going to the heater. Using the EPA's 62 mile range as a full battery pack, that means a loss of almost 25 miles, bringing range down to less than 40 miles. Meaning that I can't do a trip that's 20 miles one direction while running the heat like that, and expect to make it back home without charging at some point.

This sounds pretty consistant with what I've found so far. Another thing is that just being winter makes charging in public HARDER. It's been my experience that CHAdeMO chargers are just that much more likely to NOT work, and that J1772 stations are a favorite location for plow drivers to push the snow!

The whole idea of the parking heater is that it will completely eliminate the red parts of that bar graph - preserving the battery for moving the car, instead of heating it. I only just got the heater in, and I'm still experimenting, but it seems to be working.

DonDakin

Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:17 am

Hey all,

For the Heater problem I had on the weekend. I think it was a freeze up of the fuel line because the heater started fine in the driveway at -23 Deg C then it ran for awhile and quit. I noticed it on the highway. I tried to restart it many times but no go. When I got home I put it in the garage and tried it a few hours later. started up no problem.

Then I put it outside overnight and it started and ran all the next day at -24 Deg C. So I think there was a bead of water in there and that caused the problem.

Ben It might be an idea to run the fuel line in with the heater hoses to warm it up.

If it freezes up then a little electric heat might warm the fuel line and get it going.

Anyways first time it has done that in 2 years but I thought I would report it. BTW the heater code when it failed was 1E13 which is "heater did not start on second try"

Don.....

rkarl89203

Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:39 am

Won't this invalidate the warranty?

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”