bennelson

Re: Upgrading the heating system to bioethanol or Diesel fue

Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:44 pm

Got most of the work done today!

It started out cold, but the sun finally came out. I was able to work in my garage, in the sun but out of the wind. That, plus a 1000 watt lamp pointed at me (which puts out plenty of RADIANT energy) made for a very cheerful time working.

I was able to run the wiring for the mini-timer into the car through the port down near the steering and radiator hoses into the car. After that, I zip-tied all the wiring harness out of the way.

I decided to insulate the parking heater hoses. I had some "radiant barrier" insulation and cut it into a long strip to wrap around the hoses. I removed the driver's side headlight to make that easier on myself and got them pretty well insulated.

I thought I should try to get a few photos before I put everything back together, so I made sure to take a few. Here's a view from low down looking at the heater and exhaust.

Yea! The bumper cover fit back on! I was a little concerned about the tolerance between the hoses and the cover just to the right of the heater. It all fit!

Here's a view under the hood after the nose was back on and everything was put back together.

I have lots more photos, thoughts, etc. And I have a bunch of video to edit together. I also shot a few thermal videos. I will put together a bunch of that information later as a blog with some work put into it.

For now, I'm just glad to have the heater in the car so I can get back to using the car again! I still need a "real" fuel tank. I mail-ordered one, but it won't be here for a few days. It will probably arrive just after I leave to go out of town for a week....

DonDakin

Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:27 pm

It has been a brutally cold weekend so far. -24 deg C.
My diesel heater stopped working on the highway at 90 km/hr it started ok at home but stopped on the highway I was lucky that I was only going about 30 km round trip and the battery was full. I switched to electric heat to survive. It was incredible how the car just froze up on the highway without heat. Anyways I think the fuel line froze perhaps a little water in the fuel it started working after letting the car thaw in the garage for a couple of hours.

I'm really glad it's back online.

Don...

bennelson

Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:45 pm

I started editing together some of the video. It's pretty long, at least half an hour in total, so I'm breaking it up into sections.

Here's Part 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RHiDYGPZlY

and Part 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zJFowv8fuQ

Also today, I got my little tiny fuel tank in the mail. It's only one liter, but has a real cap and dedicated hose barb on the bottom. I installed it and it seems to work pretty well - looks good and I can put fuel in it without having to remove it.

Phximiev

Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:21 pm

I switched to electric heat to survive. It was incredible how the car just froze up on the highway without heat. Anyways I think the fuel line froze perhaps a little water in the fuel it started working after letting the car thaw in the garage for a couple of hours.

Are you sure that it was frozen water in the fuel line and not in the heater? If it was frozen water in the heater, then maybe the temperature fell below the operating limits of the heater. That could be a real problem.
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

bennelson

Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:44 pm

I just took a look at the instruction manual for the heater. On page 25 of the manual, it lists all the possible error fault codes. There are a number of errors about coolant temperature, flame sensor temperature, and other temperatures being too HIGH, but I didn't see ANY about any temperatures being too low. I don't see why this heater shouldn't operate in extreme cold. It's a pretty simple device - only a few moving parts.

There are issues with certain fuels and extreme cold. I know that E85 and Ethanol have cold start issues (but that's really a spark-plug thing...) Diesel is much THICKER when cold, which may make a fuel pump work extra hard. The fuel line going to this heater is TINY. It's easy to imagine almost anything plugging it up, even frost in air that may have worked it's way inside.

jsantala

Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:46 pm

Around these parts the diesel fuel changes based on time of year. Summer quality diesel starts to clog up at -5˚. Winter quality is good until about -29˚C. If you don't have winter quality diesel available at your location then it's quite possible that what you have experienced is the diesel fuel becoming too thick to move. Another point for ethanol. ;)
kWsaki.com / EVs: Nissan Leaf 2012, Citroën Xsara 1997 (conv. 81V & 8" Series DC) and Kawasaki GPX750R 1987 (conv. 87V & ME1003 PMDC) / Used to have a Citroën C-Zero 2011

sandange

Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:33 am

Wow Ben
Great videos!!
:D
Clearly showing all the hard to see locations and a well explained step by step installation.
A super guide to any one wanting to do this installation.
Well Done!
Tesla Model 3 SR+, 2019
Previous EVs
Puey Bluey 2014 Miev
200,000 km , 124.000 miles.
Blackie - 2012 ES Miev 2 years - 67,000 km / (41,630 miles)
http://thecordstead.blogspot.ca/

bennelson

Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:35 am

Thank you!
The whole thing is a bit long, and I might repeat myself a bit, but I wanted to document it well enough for other people to more easily do a similar installation.

Looking back at it, I wish I would have remembered to take more STILL PHOTOS as well!

Here's part 6, which is mostly installing the little fuel tank.

https://youtu.be/Duif55IDpi4
Last edited by bennelson on Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”