Upgrading the heating system to bioethanol or Diesel fuel

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trick with potentiometer didn't work.
I will try that :

When the car is OFF and heater ON
-> cigaret lighter OFF
->RY3 OFF
->RY1 and RY2 ON
-> Blower ON, speed set by the new speed controler

When the car is ON and heater ON
-> cigaret lighter ON
->RY3 ON
->RY1 and RY2 OFF
-> Blower is contol by the car speed controler

When Heater OFF
->RY1 and RY2 OFF
-> Blower is control by the car speed controler

I will use this speed controler:
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/312044370988

I use main Benjamin Nelson great video to install the heater , the main difference is there is no metal front bumper on the peugeot but polystyrene on both side the license plate. To avoid to set the polystyrene on fire I use that :
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Plaque-autocollante-et-adh%C3%A9sive-pare-chaleur-d-Acousta-fil-TEXO-ALFOL-300X200/183372786613?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Nice! That looks like it should do the job just fine.

How are you turning on the heater itself? Timer?

I think I am going to use my aftermarket alarm / remote engine starter will cell phone control. The remote reaches around 4000 feet and the cell control is of course virtually limitless. Then an aux channel can trigger the heater.

But I have concerns running off the 12v battery for any sustained amount of time. That blower on a high setting will put some serious strain on the battery if running while not plugged in/charging or in ready mode.

My thoughts are to have an isolated secondary 12v system to run all the extras. Then if it goes dead, it wont have any negative effect on the starting battery. Use a big deep cycle battery (or 2) that charge when the car charges but is disconnected the rest of the time. There really isn't a suitable location for such a large battery so it may just go in a battery box on the floor of the back seat. Since I rarely have more than 1 passenger, I feel I can easily sacrifice that space.

I use a webasto top E, it start with a clock, but Webasto sell a remote if I need one.
For the alarm remote, I haven't seen a wire where you could just use +12v to start the heater, it's more like a bus between the clock and the heater.
I don't think the battery will be an issue. Where I live we don't have very cold winter (-10ºC).
If I set the speed controller at 6A for 10min, it's only 1Ah, and the windscreen should be defrost.
If you live in Canada or north of USA you may need an other battery.

There is a lot of space over the glove box, behind the air bag, may be not enough for a large battery but it's plenty for my relays and my speed controller

I purchased a heater without a timer. It is only an on/off switch. I specifically did that so I could trigger with just a basic connection. Granted the heater hasn't arrived yet to confirm, but if it turns on with a basic switch then worst case I add a relayed output to the alarm.

We get very cold. Lots of time well below -20 and generally hit -40 a couple times per winter too.

I currently have speaker crossovers and a small amp jammed in the dash.

Arnaud12 said:
I use a webasto top E, it start with a clock, but Webasto sell a remote if I need one.
For the alarm remote, I haven't seen a wire where you could just use +12v to start the heater, it's more like a bus between the clock and the heater.
I don't think the battery will be an issue. Where I live we don't have very cold winter (-10ºC).
If I set the speed controller at 6A for 10min, it's only 1Ah, and the windscreen should be defrost.
If you live in Canada or north of USA you may need an other battery.

Hi Arnaud12,
How is your experience with the setup?
We have ordered a new Peugeot Ion, and I plan to do a similar setup like you : a Webasto thermo to evo 5 with remote function, so we also need to get the fan working. Do you have some more info of the build? ( Mainly the electrical stuff, the rest is clear enough, thanks to some excellent video’s/ build guides!)
Thanks!

(Newbie LiEVen from Belgium)

My instalation Eberspacher Hydronic B4WS petrol version. Universal set from ebay. Under left wheel. No drill special whole. Use only empty existing hole.
Destroy only one pipe (cut and short her) from pump to DC heater and add 20 cm new pipe.

Now ION heater work like direct connection with hell :D

http://elektroforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52&p=4838#p4838

Back