Don
Site Moderator

Re: Fuel tank for diesel heater

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:29 pm

You do want 100% of your hot water to flow to the heater core within the car and then back to your fuel heater to be reheated - You don't need to be flowing any diesel heated water through the uninsulated electric heater under the car which would waste a good percentage of your heat. Part of the OEM heater's problem is that electric heater under the car radiates nearly as much heat to the outside air under the car as it does to the heater core - Very wasteful

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

bradleydavidgood777

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:35 pm

I was thinking about that last winter - how much cool air hits the front of the car and there is no hot engine or exhaust manifold to heat it up. And how the legs and feet get so cold no matter what you have on.

I wonder if there is room to insulate around that heater?
2017 I-Miev

Don
Site Moderator

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:00 pm

bradleydavidgood777 wrote:I wonder if there is room to insulate around that heater?

Why not install a check valve to make sure none of your diesel heated water flows through that cold heater core under the car?

There are a few who have insulated everything under the car having to do with the heating system - There are threads here if you search for them

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

Gorfllub

Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:06 pm

I just realized that turning the heat to red in the car will engage the water pump, increasing flow.

I may experiment with operating the oem pump without the electric heater on.

Also I didn't even consider the possibility the heater tank could be uninsulated.

So a couple of potential cures could be to run the diesel heater only through the heater core. Have it able to be isolated from the rest of the system..

Or a least make it so the diesel heat output goes into the heater core first.

And of course insulate. I can see how even just one of these ideas could make a substantial increase in usable heat into the cab.

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”