How will they charge us gasoline tax?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjpod

As EVs gain foothold, and gasoline consumption goes down, as it already has for economic reasons, revenue genrated from the gasoline tax will diminish. How will government "get even"?

Right now they are encouraging us to buy EVs but I predict they will need to find another way to tax us.

There's already been discussion in many states of switching away from a gasoline tax to a "miles driven" tax. Enforcement would of course be an issue, though requiring manufacturers to grant access to the vehicle's data recorder on an annual basis could solve that problem.

Washington State has passed an arbitrary $100/year EV registration surcharge. I have it on inside authority that the work required for self-reporting of mileage during annual (electronic) re-registration would be negligible, but the senator who pushed this measure refused to consider other options, as presented by Seattle EVA. The state expects to lose money on the cost to administer this new fee versus the piddling early revenues for several years, and that only under an optimistic EV sales scenario...

NYS already does safety and emissions inspections annually. The service station already types your VIN and mileage into the DMV computer. It won't be long....

How many EV's would be covered if the government would cut the $100 Billion in oil spending and redistribute it to other services in the US? Taking this out would just about balance the budget. Of course, you're going to have those that will complain that it's unfair that renewables get rebates and oil doesn't, but then again, they do that already. Hopefully, they plug that drain after EV's take enough foothold so pulling the spending won't crash everything. The government only takes about 50 cents to a dollar per gallon for tax, the rest goes to the oil company.

$100/year isn't bad, but it's probably a loss all the way around just to try to collect it, as stated before. It's not a bad idea, but I feel it's too soon. You know people will blow this out of proportion and stay away from EV's just because of it.

Well i pay road tax on the fuel that goes in my boat and that does not see the road. If you buy it on the water you still pay road tax.

So i hope for a while they don't tax it i might feel better about paying road tax for fuel in my boat.

Back