Legion Solar on Kickstarter

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjlink

I saw this Legion Solar project on Kickstarter and I know there people on this form are into solar. Any thoughts on this?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/plxdevices/legion-solar-a-better-way-to-energy-independence/description

How does the system shut down when the grid goes down? I think this is a code requirement here in AZ, and probably elsewhere. Also, how does one connect to a battery instead?

"If my power goes out, can Legion Solar still provide power to my home?

No. Legion solar generates electricity only when there is grid power present. "

If I ever go solar it would be for self sufficiency. So Legion is out. Plus it's a great bonus to have solar power if grid power goes down.
-Barry

Interesting concept that will require more research.

From what I've learned, though, is that the larger 60-cell panels usually offer more power for the system's footprint. Plus, plugging into a 120 volt outlet limits total output to 1.3 kW, unless multiple inverters across multiple circuits are used. Also, to qualify for incentives, the system usually has to be professionally installed, which takes away from their price savings and portability factor when moving (unless the system is made permanently mobile).

Losing the solar production when the grid goes down is a limitation of a battery-less grid-tied system. With batteries and depending on the system, one can still net meter and retain the ability to keep using solar power when the grid goes down. Something like SolarEdge gives you the flexibility to use grid, battery, or both (plus Tesla Powerwall compatibility).

All grid-tied inverters are required to have anti-islanding protection. Basically, if the voltage or frequency becomes too high or too low, the inverter shuts down.

From experimenting with my plug-in inverter, it is possible to trick this feature, though only momentarily and it requires a perfect balance of output power and load. I tested this with a power strip and a fan. The fan uses 11 watts, and at the time of testing, I was outputting 11 watts. I was able to get the fan to run directly for about 2 seconds before the inverter shut down.

Except for the wi-fi connected hardware and app, the other components are readily available online, for perhaps a lower cost. Don't see anything unique or revolutionary here.

Main issues I see are regulatory; for example, they show panels covering a roof whereas fire codes mandate setbacks. UL (or similar) approved hardware, permits, utility and local requirements, wiring to meet code, inspections, etc. add complexity to what is basically a very simple system concept.

Thanks for all the replies, and the good information. Yea, I checked the permitting in my city and it would be a pain to get done. They want permits for Ground Mounted PV Systems as well. I guess the way around that is to mount it on a flat bed trailer. :D

I see others are now trying there hands on power wall type projects:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ericclifton/orison-rethink-the-power-of-energy

Back