Battery technology

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benswing

diegoyork said:
Well, I love electric cars and rechargeable battery is the most expensive component of a car. However, researchers are working on improved battery technologies to increase driving range and decrease recharging time, weight, and cost. I also heard form a friend of mine that there are serious safety issues with the existing lithium-ion batteries that are used in electric and hybrid automobiles. However, a research firm claims that it has discovered a way to make a safer battery that can create a longer driving range by utilizing a solid electrolyte instead of a liquid one.

diegoyork, Here is another article about the same technology, which will be years in development before it MIGHT be able to be manufactured:
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/510311/battery-material-prevents-fires-stores-five-times-the-energy/

There are several different Li-Ion chemistries being used in electric car batteries, and I don't recall any issues occurring in real world use of cars. The Volt that caught fire years ago was a test mule and it was placed upside-down for 3 weeks in a very hot environment (or some other strange circumstance that would never happen in real use). The Fisker Karmas that caught fire were inundated with saltwater after Hurricane Sandy. The iMiEV fire occurred in the factory and had a different chemistry than the cars that were sold before that batch.

So, the whole "dangerous battery" thing is in practical terms, a non-issue. That being said, there is always room for improvement but Li-Ion batteries are still far safer than putting several gallons of flammable liquid in a tank under your seat.

benswing said:
So, the whole "dangerous battery" thing is in practical terms, a non-issue. That being said, there is always room for improvement but Li-Ion batteries are still far safer than putting several gallons of flammable liquid in a tank under your seat.
I agree. If we're going to be overly critical of the 'danger' from EV batteries and fires, we need to put it in perspective with all the tragic fires reported over the years with ICE vehicles. In that light, we're driving the safest thing on the road

I'll never forget this one http://www.kennerschmittnygaard.com/ford-cruise-control-recall-fire-explorer-expedition-f150-windstar.html A faulty designed cruise control switch caused a truck parked in the garage to burn down a house and kill someone . . . . and the truck had been parked for hours!

Gimme a 'dangerous' Lithium powered car anyday

Don

After all dont forget there are brazillions of ICE cars on the route with Lead Acid batteries that are poisonous and can explode. The number besides the chemistry and physics makes them far more dangerous.

I know from firemen that they try to get damaged cars back on the wheels if possible so the Lead Acids dont leak. That is worse than leaking fuel in the first place.

Nobody counts burning ICE cars. I had one myself. Carburator was spilling fuel, dripped onto the hot exhaust pipe. Used a towel to stop it.

I will never forget driving down the road many years ago, hearing a particularly noisy car next to me on the freeway, and looking over to see flame shooting out from under the car. I motioned for the driver to pull over. She got out safely in plenty of time to see her car get nearly consumed by flames.

A quick search on Google Images shows this is NOT an unusual occurrence:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=car%20on%20fire&tbs=imgo:1&safe=active&biw=1291&bih=852&sei=gFxoUan6JYin2AWHlIG4CA

With the Rube Goldberg machine under the hoods of ICE vehicles, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

Rube Goldberg
5b4QXBy.jpg

Is this technology for real. Any technical genius in this forum can comment.
Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r95OI0rD7Dk

Back