2nd Gen Tesla Roadster

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PV1

Staff member
As the second half of the Tesla Semi unveil, they also surprised everyone with the re-born Tesla Roadster (if you followed the Roadster, this new one would technically be version 4.0. Versions 1, 1.5, 2, and 2.5 were all the 1st gen, with 3.0 being the upgrade kit to 350 miles range).

I think this is the best looking Tesla yet. Absolutely gorgeous. And the range, oh man, the range :shock: :cool: .

I'll leave it up to their site to list the specs.

https://www.tesla.com/roadster/

Really nice looking car! Not much practical about it. But hey to get performance like that you have to check practical at the door upon entry. In spite of all that and the steep price tag. If I could drop $200K and pay $12K in insurance per year without blinking. I would be tempted. 620 miles of range is enough to sell me right there!

Aerowhatt

I'd be willing to bet that that car will never make it to production with those specs... but happy to be proven wrong. Great design, i'll say that though.

I'm surprised that road tyres are even produced that can handle that amount of acceleration and speed.

phb10186 said:
I'd be willing to bet that that car will never make it to production with those specs... but happy to be proven wrong. Great design, i'll say that though.

I'm surprised that road tyres are even produced that can handle that amount of acceleration and speed.

Much, much nicer to look at than the current crop from the majors (some of them are just butt ugly). There is a market for such vehicle. A handful of successful brands and models on the market for years. Plus the Tesla roadster seats 4, most don't. It out performs all of them, hands down, and is listed to cost less as well. Plus imagine the difference between driving a high performance EV compared to a "comparable" ICE with an 8 or 9 speed automatic. Seems to me like it would be the difference between driving the iMiev and any "comperable" ICE automatic . . . times 10 perhaps?

Plus all the ICE's in the super car class are gas hogs with small-ish gas tanks. I doubt that there is anything in this class (except the Tesla) that has a >250-275 mile single tank range!

Aerowhatt

phb10186 said:
That's the one noise it makes in the videos -- squealing tires. They may not hold up long.

wmcbrine said:
phb10186 said:
That's the one noise it makes in the videos -- squealing tires. They may not hold up long.

Yes a car like this, driven like it's hard not to drive it, will go through tires fast. For one thing, to get the grip needed for that kind of acceleration the compound has to be "soft". Tires like that will run at least $500 each. So if you use the capabilities of the car much, you easily might spend more on rubber than electricity! Apparently one of the closest cars in performance is a the Buggati Charon (sp) Sticker price is over 2 million dollars. Over ten times the price of the roadster! I think it will sell OK ;)

Aerowhatt

Back