The Peel P50; 3 wheel micro EV for an adult & shopping bag!

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokeby

WOwcx.jpg

Originally produced on the Isle of Man from 1962 to 1965 by the Peel Engineering
Company, the Peel P50 is a three-wheeled microcar with one door, one headlight,
and a single windscreen wiper. Powered by a 49 cc engine coupled to a three-speed
manual transmission, the car has a top speed of around 38 mph (61 km/h) and no
reverse gear... Designed to accommodate a single adult – and a shopping bag –
only 50 of the original Peel P50s were produced and sold for GBP199 (approx.
US$315) each….

The {new} company is offering both gasoline and electric models, with the former
powered by a 49 cc four stroke CVT engine generating 2.5 kW and 4.2 Nm of torque
and boasting fuel economy figures of 118 mpg (50 km/liter). The electric model is
powered by a DC brushless CVT electric motor also generating 2.5 kW, but with
14.4 Nm of torque and the removable battery pack providing a range of 20 miles
(30 km). Both models have a limited top speed of 40 mph (65 km/h)...

Read more: The new Peel P50 and Trident

With only three wheels it would be considered a motorcycle with very minimal
safety and no crash test requirements.
The third wheel is for a cycle/scooter with side car.

Vespa with sidecar
xdg2N.jpg

Hello! The steering column for them goes straight between your legs, and as there’s no adjustment for reach or rake, you rest your hands on top of the three-spoke-wheel. Most Auto Express first drives take in country roads and motorways, but for the Peel P50 we followed a more appropriate route. I call it a skooty when I need to speak lovely for it..hehe

RE the Peel P50 - there is a reason these never became mainstream and scooters (2 and 3 wheelers) did. The words death trap spring to mind.

Not powerful enough as a 50cc, and not capable of adopting a larger engine with those tiny wheels. Tiny wheels like those... never a good idea. The larger the wheels the better, as far as I am concerned with many a scooter - my current SH has 16 inch wheels and its stability over bumps and pot holes is directly related to those - almost everything else is less important.

As far as side cars for bikes go... it makes them like a trike - none of the benefits of a bike, with none of the benefits of a car.

Back