Extended test drive - Nissan LEAF

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PV1

Staff member
My friend has been driving a 2014 Nissan LEAF S for about a year. We switched cars for a few days, so I'm driving his LEAF and he's driving Koorz.

Initial impressions:

1. Regen is much weaker than the i-MiEV. Eco mode in the LEAF holds back less than D in the i-MiEV, but it generates more energy due to the extra weight of the LEAF.
2. The base halogen headlights don't seem as good as the i-MiEV.
3. Heated steering wheel, seat and back heaters in all seats are a nice plus.
4. The heater throws faster and more plentiful heat than the i-MiEV.
5. I now know why it's called a Guess-O-Meter. One quick acceleration to 50 MPH resulted in a 10 mile drop in estimated range, regardless of the last 15 miles of efficient driving.
6. More difficult to judge on the road, but not as bad as I first experienced when first test driving the LEAF almost 4 years ago.
7. People still tailgate me. Maybe it's the fact that the back of both cars mention solar. I need to drive Koorz more, which is totally stock minus corporate-added side graphics.

Are there any other comparisons anyone would like me to pay attention to?

Noticed a few more things:

1. Headlights don't seem to have an auto-shutoff, at least not as quick as the i-MiEV.
2. No speed-sensitive intermittent windshield wipers.
3. Loading a large box is much easier with the i-MiEV. Took 3 of us a few minutes to get a printer in the back, whereas the same printer in my i-MiEV slides right in.

One nice thing the LEAF lets you do is actually use the heater (likely the AC too but didn't try it) with the car charging. You don't have to go through any app to activate heat. The only caveat is that the car has to be charging, so pre-heating requires you to replug the car if it has finished charging, then turn it on and turn the heat on.

The base model (S) HVAC controls are a bit more upscale than the i-MiEV's, but retains many of the features that I like. There are two dedicated buttons for activating the heater or the AC. You can set the air anywhere you want (although having any air to the windshield disables the recirculator) at any fan speed without any heat/AC. If you press the Defrost button, it will activate both Heat and AC, but it's simple to press the two buttons and turn both off (and they stay off). Unlike the i-MiEV, Nissan put a real blower in the ventilation system.

One big plus for the i-MiEV is ease of cleaning. The carpet in the LEAF is like Velcro, and the floor mats perpetually hold dirt. I spent 5 minutes smacking each mat against a wall trying to get all the grit out. In the time I spent trying to vacuum out the LEAF, I could've vacuumed out both i-MiEVs, and they would've been cleaner when I was done. The i-MiEV's carpet is apparently treated with some water-repellant. A passenger spilled a can of iced tea in Bear the other day, and it all picked up with a damp paper towel. Nothing soaked in. Impressive.

We're switching cars back in a couple of hours. I hope Bear's not jealous because I was driving a different car the last three days :lol: :roll: . I did start Bear up yesterday morning to allow the 12 volt battery to charge (per OVMS, it was down to 11.9 volts, discharging a bit slower without the OBDLink plugged in).

His fiance liked it (she did most of the driving). Right off the bat, he missed the heated steering wheel and bluetooth phone connectivity (which the nav. package gives you on the 2016 i-MiEV). I'll add more when I talk to him next.

What's funny is that the i-MiEV feels like it has more throttle response coming from a stop, even though the LEAF far and away out-accelerates it.

As far as the heat is concerned, I believe the S model LEAF uses a hot water heater (like the I-MiEV) and the higher end ones have a heat pump. Big improvement in heating capacity and reduction in load with the heat pump. My first LEAF was only available with hot water and my next one had the heat pump. Heat is minimal in the I-MiEV but the A/C kicks butt.

The LEAF heated steering wheel is nice but it seemed to get way too hot before it started to cycle. (you needed to turn it off and on manually so you didn't burn you hands without gloves)

There is a lot of things that make the acceleration feel like it does. The I-MiEV is much lighter than the LEAF and the amount of throttle movement is less for the same percentage of power. Both give the I-MiEV a feeling of quicker takeoff. The LEAF feels more like the I-MiEV in eco mode.

Biggest likes of the I-MiEV over the LEAF are---better visibility around the "A" pillars, easy entry into the front and rear seats, tighter turning radius, easier to park, way bigger and more user friendly rear hatch and rear floor area (never could put a full size washing machine in the LEAF but fit fine in the I-MiEV). Lowest initial cost of just about any car with real windows and doors.

LEAF wins in quality and feel in the interior. Wins in handling at high speed---which is a moot point as neither vehicle will go very far at high speed. Faster charging 6.6 KW vs. 3.3 (except S)

Back