PV1
Site Moderator
Posts: 2992
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:22 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact: Website

Re: 2016 Volt

Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:01 pm

Maybe a BMW i3 would better suit your needs. The i3 REx I had on extended test drive offered 80-90 main road/city miles on electricity, and an additional 60-70 miles from the range extender, which is strictly a generator. I got 75 miles on a charge before the REx kicked in, 35 miles of that on the highway at 65 MPH, the rest on main roads 45 and under. It holds the highway better than the i-MiEV, despite having tires just as narrow.

Space and packaging wise, the i3 is nearly identical to the i-MiEV with nearly as tight a turning radius, but has much more get up and go. Plus, it has the 6.6 kW onboard charger. Unfortunately, it's a choice between the REx or SAE Combo quick charging, you can't get both.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8z5iyqohu3fo ... iOSva?dl=0

The best thing is, you can go to a BMW dealer and get one now.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

misterbleepy
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:53 am
Location: Newquay, Cornwall, UK

Re: 2016 Volt

Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:52 am

Over here in Europe Nissan have just announced a 30KWh Leaf option for 2016 - maybe that would work for you if it's available in the US?
Keith B.
driving with the power of 15.667 kettles

Barbagris
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:34 am
Location: Bilbao, Spain

Re: 2016 Volt

Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:25 am

Just curiosity: does the Kia Soul EV (LiPo - 27 kWh) sold in the US market?
...learning...

SyCo
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:46 am

Re: 2016 Volt

Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:15 am

PV1 wrote:Maybe a BMW i3 would better suit your needs.

Test driven one also... VERY nice car !!

@misterbleepy, Yes announced for U.S. and Canada

@Barbagris, Yes available in U.S. and Canada ;) Plus the U.S. Soul EV get QC on both models where in Canada it's only on the "Luxury" model :(

PV1
Site Moderator
Posts: 2992
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:22 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact: Website

Re: 2016 Volt

Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:18 am

The Soul EV is sold in California, Georgia, Texas, Oregon, Washington and Hawaii.

Yes, CHAdeMO quick charging is standard, but oddly heated/cooled seats are only available on the top trim level on the US model.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

rkarl89203
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:04 pm

Re: 2016 Volt

Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Looking ahead, the BEV Chevy Bolt late next year might be a great option too ..
During a recent test drive I found the Kia Soul EV just awesome, but they don't sell it here in Rockford IL.

Don
Site Moderator
Posts: 2879
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 3:55 pm
Location: Biloxi MS

Re: 2016 Volt

Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:49 am

rkarl89203 wrote:If it uses gasoline, it's not an electric car.
I like ELECTRIC cars.
That's why I have two.
I don't go to 'gasoline stations' in my electric car.
Because I choose to own an ELECTRIC car.
I have two also. Bought our first iMiEV 3 1/2 years ago, thinking it *might* be good for about 75% of our driving needs - We had 2 other ICE vehicles to cover the other 25%

As it turned out, the hope for 75% pretty quickly turned into 90 to 95% of everything we needed - We were buying gas treatment and trickle chargers for the other cars . . . . but we couldn't live without them either

If we were in a position to only own one vehicle (or one second vehicle to complement a pure BEV) I think we'd prefer to have something like a Volt rather than a Tesla. Knowing that a small, lightweight, 16 Kw car can do 95% of what we need, it makes little sense to 'invest' in a very expensive, heavy 85 Kw battery just to cover the other 5% and still be limited as to where and when we could get it recharged. For less than half the cost of the Tesla, the Volt could easily cover that remaining 5% and we could 'refuel' anywhere . . . . and still be 95% electric the rest of the time - A truly practical solution, IMO

I'm not so 'anti-gasoline' that I would mind buying 40 or 60 gallons or so of it each year rather than lugging around a $30K battery that I wouldn't use 3/4ths of 95% of the time - I'm buying about that much gas now anyway, but I'm getting zero EV miles from the car. I think a gas burning 'extended range' EV makes a world of sense . . . . at least it does to me. Even though I own two pure EV's I still have need of a gas burner in my garage - Something like a Volt could replace that 100% gas burner and I could drive it electric 90% of the time and it would cover *all* my needs . . . . and allow me to retire that 100% gas burner - What's not to like?

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

rkarl89203
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:04 pm

Re: 2016 Volt

Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:53 pm

Guess I would just disagree, but its only a personal preference.
It is hard for some to break completely free of gasoline. I had friends killed in the Middle East fighting to protect that stuff. While in the military I myself nearly died protecting that stuff and all he territorial imperatives that went along with it. When I was stationed in Alaska I helped clean the beaches from the Exxon Valdiz crude spill. One of my favorite states, North Dakota is being systematically destroyed to get that stuff. We recently had an 'oil train' explode here near Galena Illinois carrying that stuff. Let's talk about what BP did to the Gulf, too.
That being said, my EV doesn't go 'vroom' to impress people. I don't need giant exhaust pipes to compensate for any lack of macho-ness or size of whatever.
At times it is necessary for long trips to rent a gas vehicle, but when a enhanced BEV
Range vehicle is available, even that won't be necessary. I don't have any problem breaking free of the 20th century gas engine solutions
Just saying.

Return to “Other Electric Vehicles”