Tesla Model S test drive

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archie_b

Tesla is coming to Madison, WI this week to provide 15 minute test drives of the Model S. I have a reservation for Wednesday afternoon. Tesla has a supercharger station at this location so I hope we will able to see it in action.

I cannot ask any questions about purchasing or financing at this event, but any questions on performance, specifications, etc. will be answered. If anyone has any specific questions please post and I will make sure to ask.

Archie

archie_b said:
I cannot ask any questions about purchasing or financing at this event, ....
Archie

So apparently Wisconsin has car dealer protection (franchise) laws as well. Please post if you learn how TESLA is attacking the protectionist laws there. FWIW, I've informed TESLA that though I've written letters supporting TESLA against the dealers' association, I'll be even more vocal if TESLA continues to refuse to sell parts to people that want to do repairs outside of the TESLA authorized system. (See http://cafeelectric.com/stretchla/2014/07/14/pariah/ and others.)

Our Right to Repair is in jeopardy. Once a manufacturer sells a car, they have no right to interfere in the owner's use and enjoyment of the vehicle. They may refuse warranty claims, but should be required to provide parts- even if they don't like us.

Replacing a cartel with a monopoly is not in the consumer's interest.

Had my test drive in a Tesla P85+ this afternoon. Now this is the way to make an electric vehicle. Quality is outstanding, ergonomics is exceptional and handling/performance is without an equal. Only problem; cost. This car makes the Cadillac ELR seem like a bargain. You could buy 3 i-mievs and still have money left over.

For PV1; total torque for the D model is 619lb-ft. The S model is about 410lb-ft so the four wheel drive model D has about 50% more torque. 0-60 mph is just over 3 seconds. By comparison the i-miev has a torque of 145lb-ft.

If money was no object the Tesla would be a great car. I totally agree with jray3's assessment that anyone should have the right to repair or modify their car as they see fit. If the manufacturer wants to void a warranty over unauthorized modifications, so be it. But do not restrict the sale of parts. This smacks of the day several decades ago when manufacturers tried to say that using synthetic oil would void your warranty.

Archie

I didn't get to do a test drive but I got to sit in one last week. Banged my head getting in and out of the car. The seat and steering wheel position for driving compared to entering and exiting the car had to be changed. Ergonomically, this would not work for me. It is a super looking car though.

In my Miev...no problems.

Thanks. 619 ft lbs., wow!

Actually, under the Magnuson-Moss act, a manufacturer can't deny a warranty claim unless they can prove a modification is the cause of said problem. It's what protects our powertrain warranty from being voided just for using EVSEUpgrade or OpenEVSE.

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=faq_info&fcPath=5&faqs_id=20

i've driven my brother in laws roadster and model S--they are awesome EVs for sure.

So i was interested to buy a salvage tesla and fix it up--until i read about their lack of parts and lack of service manuals (except in Massachusetts) and their policy of de-activating salvage cars over wifi, and all the problems that other good mechanics were having trying to get them back running again.

But there is no real market for used parts from salvage cars either, unless someone figures out how to run the inverter and control the motor, control the battery, etc. i have the skills and knowledge and could do those things, but the price of admission of the wrecked cars is still outrageous due to the insurance companies' high reserves, since they had to pay out very high claims on such an expensive car.

Plus whenever a CAN-bus controlled component is replaced it must be flashed with the right firmware to allow it to operate in the car, and nobody has access to the f/w or the programmer... it just goes on forever with them and keeping control. You don't really own the car, you are just paying to use their software in a portable high-tech cell phone device with wheels.

Back