I replaced my i-MiEV with this

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmarcucio

I replaced my iMiEV with this 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV. I liked my i-MiEV for the year that I owned it but this is the EV I really wanted but couldn't get it in New York State as it's only offered new in California and Oregon. So I purchased the i-MiEV. I found a Chevrolet dealer 200 miles from me here in NYS that purchased a Spark EV from a Chevrolet auction that was a factory demo and they had it up for sale. It had 2000 miles on it. They gave me a good deal and took the i-MiEV in on trade. This little tiger has 400 Lb.Ft of torque!!!

I'm glad you got what you wanted, and I've heard the SparkEV is a screamer, but what'll you be doing for parts & service? I thought the only authorized service centers were on the west coast. Admittedly, the i-MiEV population (and related service staff experience) is pretty thin, but at least you have factory trained, authorized, and supported facilities for it.

Please share your Spark likes, dislikes, and comparisons to our I-Miev's. Most all so us will be in the market for another car someday.

Dave

Vike said:
I'm glad you got what you wanted, and I've heard the SparkEV is a screamer, but what'll you be doing for parts & service? I thought the only authorized service centers were on the west coast. Admittedly, the i-MiEV population (and related service staff experience) is pretty thin, but at least you have factory trained, authorized, and supported facilities for it.

Any Chevrolet Volt trained technician should be able to work on the Spark EV. The GM training center has courses that are designated as "electric vehicle training" that the technicians are required to take. The courses are not specific to the Volt or Spark EV but encompass both as EV training. Many dealer service departments consult with factory engineers along the way now anyway when diagnosing and making repairs. I guess I'll have to cross that road when I need the dealers help and hope they will be supportive with me.

DaveMiller said:
Please share your Spark likes, dislikes, and comparisons to our I-Miev's. Most all so us will be in the market for another car someday.

Dave

I most certainly will. Owning it for just 7 weeks now I can tell you I love the torque and the 110 mile range I'm getting with it!!! I like how it drives on the highway at highway speeds of 55mph and love the cruise control. The i-MiEV would do it but always seemed like to me it didn't like doing it. The things I miss on the Spark that the i-MiEV had was the back-up camera, Navigation and CD player.

gmarcucio said:
DaveMiller said:

Dave

I most certainly will. Owning it for just 7 weeks now I can tell you I love the torque and the 110 mile range I'm getting with it!!! I like how it drives on the highway at highway speeds of 55mph and love the cruise control. The i-MiEV would do it but always seemed like to me it didn't like doing it. The things I miss on the Spark that the i-MiEV had was the back-up camera, Navigation and CD player.

110 mile range — nice! Is that freeway driving, keeping it at 55? (I usually drive my i-MiEV 70-75mph on the freeway — range isn't a concern for me most days — and never felt like it didn't like doing it.)

How does the interior space compare? I'm not sure I could go to 2-doors, but might consider it. (My lease is up in half a year, so I'll be considering some different EVs then, although compliance cars are probably out of consideration.)

It's not a 2 door is it? The rear door handle looks like it is recessed in the rear side window surround. I'm not a fan of the Spark petrol but as an iMiev replacement it fits the bill.

I looked at a Spark ICE model before buying the i-MiEV. The i-MiEV definitely has more room in it, but the Spark is a 4-door. The rear handles are near the top of the doors, like the old Pontiac GrandPrix.

I'm glad you like it.

PV1 said:
I looked at a Spark ICE model before buying the i-MiEV. The i-MiEV definitely has more room in it . . . .
The iMiEV is just plain amazing when compared to most any other small car - Smaller on the outside yet bigger on the inside and with a much longer wheelbase which gives better performance and a better ride . . . . not as 'twichy' at high speeds on the freeway, especially when the wind is blowing

The Spark is the same length, half an inch wider but the wheelbase is 7 inches shorter. Cargo seat up/seat down is 11/31 compared to the iMiEV's 13/50. You would expect a FWD vehicle to have more cargo room than we do, but maybe that's where they put the batteries? Sharp looking little car though - I like it!

Don

GM is talking out of both sides of their mouth. They say they want to sell *lots* of EVs and yet they limit the sales areas for the only EV they make.

I'm glad you're happy with the Spark EV.

Congrats. I test-drove a Spark EV on a lark down in Oregon, and besides the awesome acceleration, it had much less torque steer than a Focus EV. I also liked the digital displays. No butterflies or trees, just lots of good data. Seats were much nicer than the i, but interior space utilization was inefficient.

gmarcucio, sorry you deserted the i-MiEV camp but 'good on ya' (as the Aussies would say) for staying with a pure EV. The increased range of the SparkEV is certainly appreciated in some quarters (i-MiEV=62mi, SparkEV=82mi EPA), and where you live not having DCQC probably doesn't matter. The superb torque should make it a good vehicle for towing a trailer (ignoring its drag-racing advantage). Yes, it has more bells and whistles than our i-MiEV - could you describe the instrumentation and contrast it with the i-MiEV?

A correction to what Don wrote: the rear volume with the back seats up is only 9.6cuft (vs. iMiEV's 13cuft) and with the back seats down it is 23.4cuft (vs. the iMiEV's 50.4cuft) - and, it doesn't have a flat floor with the back seats down.

Maybe its just me, but I just love the super-tight turning diameter of the i-MiEV (30.8ft) and SmartEV (28.8ft), compared with the SparkEV's 33.8ft (Tesla is 37ft and FFE is a miserable 40.7ft).

Another question if I may: how much did you get as "trade-in $$" for your i-MiEV?

gmarcucio, hope you'll pop in on this forum occasionally and give us updates on any significant pluses and minuses you run across. All the best to you.

Happy driving with the new car.
The spark is definitely a car I would consider after my lease expires except they are not being sold in Texas or nationwide. This car has a definite advantage over the I-miev and the Leaf as far as a greater range. The spark is kind of in a range class by itself.
Come on GM, get committed, not involved.Be like the pig(bacon) at breakfast rather than the chicken(egg)
Silver 2012, ES model with DC/DC quick charge.
Almost 12000 miles since Feb., 2013

Lithim said:
This car has a definite advantage over the I-miev and the Leaf as far as a greater range. The spark is kind of in a range class by itself.

The Spark EV's EPA range is 82 miles, and the Leaf's is 84. I just looked it up because the 110-mile range sounded so impressive. Does the Spark outperform its EPA range significantly more than other vehicles? If not, it's pretty much in the same range as most EVs besides the i-MiEV (lower) and Tesla (higher).

Ultimately, because I don't live in a compliance car state, the Leaf will be my most likely candidate to replace the i-MiEV, unless of course I strike it rich and can get a Tesla. :D

To answer some of the questions... The Spark is only rated at 82 miles of range but my best 110 was with conservative driving and by all means not highway driving. I used to get 88 - 90 miles of range with my I-MiEV. It all depends on the conditions of your average commute and how you drive it. There is definitely a lot more room in the I-MiEV than the Spark!!! The Spark is much better built. Closing the doors on the Spark are very tight and solid compared to the tin sound and feeling of the I-MiEV. Putting both cars on the lift at my work place and comparing undercarriage components the Spark has more hefty steering and suspension components. But keep in mind the MSRP on the 2014 Spark is about $4,000 more than the 2014 I-MiEV. I could only get $9,700 on a trade for my i-MiEV SE with only 9,000 miles on it.

Very interesting that Volt techs are able to work on SparkEV electrical components and receive training on both cars. That helps considerably. I hope that translates to decent support for your gray market beauty, but it makes sense that it would.

But $9700 trade-in value for the SE Premium w/9k miles?! Yikes. :eek: Oh well - just hardens my determination to drive my Weeble into the ground (and in Albuquerque that might take a while).

JoeS said:
A correction to what Don wrote: the rear volume with the back seats up is only 9.6cuft (vs. iMiEV's 13cuft) and with the back seats down it is 23.4cuft (vs. the iMiEV's 50.4cuft) - and, it doesn't have a flat floor with the back seats down.
Thanks for the correction Joe - I think the numbers I used must have came from the gas version of the Spark . . . . the EV version lost some due to the batteries

Don

Vike said:
Very interesting that Volt techs are able to work on SparkEV electrical components and receive training on both cars. That helps considerably. I hope that translates to decent support for your gray market beauty, but it makes sense that it would.

But $9700 trade-in value for the SE Premium w/9k miles?! Yikes. :eek: Oh well - just hardens my determination to drive my Weeble into the ground (and in Albuquerque that might take a while).

It's hard to get a descent trade when you can be into a brand new 2014 for $15,495 after the tax credit. That's not a SE but it's 2 model years newer and brand new. I believe the dealer has it advertised at $13,580 now. However I did save $9,700 worth of sales tax credit on the Spark by trading the I-MiEV in.

Back