jray3

Re: I replaced my i-MiEV with this

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:14 am

Congrats. I test-drove a Spark EV on a lark down in Oregon, and besides the awesome acceleration, it had much less torque steer than a Focus EV. I also liked the digital displays. No butterflies or trees, just lots of good data. Seats were much nicer than the i, but interior space utilization was inefficient.
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 105,400 miles
2000 Mazda Miata EV, 78 kW, 17 kWh
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt EV,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

JoeS
Site Moderator

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:37 am

gmarcucio, sorry you deserted the i-MiEV camp but 'good on ya' (as the Aussies would say) for staying with a pure EV. The increased range of the SparkEV is certainly appreciated in some quarters (i-MiEV=62mi, SparkEV=82mi EPA), and where you live not having DCQC probably doesn't matter. The superb torque should make it a good vehicle for towing a trailer (ignoring its drag-racing advantage). Yes, it has more bells and whistles than our i-MiEV - could you describe the instrumentation and contrast it with the i-MiEV?

A correction to what Don wrote: the rear volume with the back seats up is only 9.6cuft (vs. iMiEV's 13cuft) and with the back seats down it is 23.4cuft (vs. the iMiEV's 50.4cuft) - and, it doesn't have a flat floor with the back seats down.

Maybe its just me, but I just love the super-tight turning diameter of the i-MiEV (30.8ft) and SmartEV (28.8ft), compared with the SparkEV's 33.8ft (Tesla is 37ft and FFE is a miserable 40.7ft).

Another question if I may: how much did you get as "trade-in $$" for your i-MiEV?

gmarcucio, hope you'll pop in on this forum occasionally and give us updates on any significant pluses and minuses you run across. All the best to you.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

Lithim

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:57 am

Happy driving with the new car.
The spark is definitely a car I would consider after my lease expires except they are not being sold in Texas or nationwide. This car has a definite advantage over the I-miev and the Leaf as far as a greater range. The spark is kind of in a range class by itself.
Come on GM, get committed, not involved.Be like the pig(bacon) at breakfast rather than the chicken(egg)
Silver 2012, ES model with DC/DC quick charge.
Almost 12000 miles since Feb., 2013
2012, model ES
Silver with QC
Leased, now owned.

nsps

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:47 pm

Lithim wrote:This car has a definite advantage over the I-miev and the Leaf as far as a greater range. The spark is kind of in a range class by itself.

The Spark EV's EPA range is 82 miles, and the Leaf's is 84. I just looked it up because the 110-mile range sounded so impressive. Does the Spark outperform its EPA range significantly more than other vehicles? If not, it's pretty much in the same range as most EVs besides the i-MiEV (lower) and Tesla (higher).

Ultimately, because I don't live in a compliance car state, the Leaf will be my most likely candidate to replace the i-MiEV, unless of course I strike it rich and can get a Tesla. :D

gmarcucio

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:10 pm

To answer some of the questions... The Spark is only rated at 82 miles of range but my best 110 was with conservative driving and by all means not highway driving. I used to get 88 - 90 miles of range with my I-MiEV. It all depends on the conditions of your average commute and how you drive it. There is definitely a lot more room in the I-MiEV than the Spark!!! The Spark is much better built. Closing the doors on the Spark are very tight and solid compared to the tin sound and feeling of the I-MiEV. Putting both cars on the lift at my work place and comparing undercarriage components the Spark has more hefty steering and suspension components. But keep in mind the MSRP on the 2014 Spark is about $4,000 more than the 2014 I-MiEV. I could only get $9,700 on a trade for my i-MiEV SE with only 9,000 miles on it.

Vike

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:38 pm

Very interesting that Volt techs are able to work on SparkEV electrical components and receive training on both cars. That helps considerably. I hope that translates to decent support for your gray market beauty, but it makes sense that it would.

But $9700 trade-in value for the SE Premium w/9k miles?! Yikes. :o Oh well - just hardens my determination to drive my Weeble into the ground (and in Albuquerque that might take a while).
2012 Silver ES w/QuickCharge+DRL/foglights, Eaton Level 2 EVSE, since 9/9/2012

Don
Site Moderator

Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:29 am

JoeS wrote:A correction to what Don wrote: the rear volume with the back seats up is only 9.6cuft (vs. iMiEV's 13cuft) and with the back seats down it is 23.4cuft (vs. the iMiEV's 50.4cuft) - and, it doesn't have a flat floor with the back seats down.
Thanks for the correction Joe - I think the numbers I used must have came from the gas version of the Spark . . . . the EV version lost some due to the batteries

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

gmarcucio

Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:19 pm

Vike wrote:Very interesting that Volt techs are able to work on SparkEV electrical components and receive training on both cars. That helps considerably. I hope that translates to decent support for your gray market beauty, but it makes sense that it would.

But $9700 trade-in value for the SE Premium w/9k miles?! Yikes. :o Oh well - just hardens my determination to drive my Weeble into the ground (and in Albuquerque that might take a while).

It's hard to get a descent trade when you can be into a brand new 2014 for $15,495 after the tax credit. That's not a SE but it's 2 model years newer and brand new. I believe the dealer has it advertised at $13,580 now. However I did save $9,700 worth of sales tax credit on the Spark by trading the I-MiEV in.

Return to “Other Electric Vehicles”