gmarcucio

I replaced my i-MiEV with this

Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:24 pm

I replaced my iMiEV with this 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV. I liked my i-MiEV for the year that I owned it but this is the EV I really wanted but couldn't get it in New York State as it's only offered new in California and Oregon. So I purchased the i-MiEV. I found a Chevrolet dealer 200 miles from me here in NYS that purchased a Spark EV from a Chevrolet auction that was a factory demo and they had it up for sale. It had 2000 miles on it. They gave me a good deal and took the i-MiEV in on trade. This little tiger has 400 Lb.Ft of torque!!!

Vike

Re: I replaced my i-MiEV with this

Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:11 pm

I'm glad you got what you wanted, and I've heard the SparkEV is a screamer, but what'll you be doing for parts & service? I thought the only authorized service centers were on the west coast. Admittedly, the i-MiEV population (and related service staff experience) is pretty thin, but at least you have factory trained, authorized, and supported facilities for it.
2012 Silver ES w/QuickCharge+DRL/foglights, Eaton Level 2 EVSE, since 9/9/2012

DaveMiller

Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:40 pm

Please share your Spark likes, dislikes, and comparisons to our I-Miev's. Most all so us will be in the market for another car someday.

Dave

gmarcucio

Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:31 pm

Vike wrote:I'm glad you got what you wanted, and I've heard the SparkEV is a screamer, but what'll you be doing for parts & service? I thought the only authorized service centers were on the west coast. Admittedly, the i-MiEV population (and related service staff experience) is pretty thin, but at least you have factory trained, authorized, and supported facilities for it.

Any Chevrolet Volt trained technician should be able to work on the Spark EV. The GM training center has courses that are designated as "electric vehicle training" that the technicians are required to take. The courses are not specific to the Volt or Spark EV but encompass both as EV training. Many dealer service departments consult with factory engineers along the way now anyway when diagnosing and making repairs. I guess I'll have to cross that road when I need the dealers help and hope they will be supportive with me.

gmarcucio

Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:42 pm

DaveMiller wrote:Please share your Spark likes, dislikes, and comparisons to our I-Miev's. Most all so us will be in the market for another car someday.

Dave

I most certainly will. Owning it for just 7 weeks now I can tell you I love the torque and the 110 mile range I'm getting with it!!! I like how it drives on the highway at highway speeds of 55mph and love the cruise control. The i-MiEV would do it but always seemed like to me it didn't like doing it. The things I miss on the Spark that the i-MiEV had was the back-up camera, Navigation and CD player.

nsps

Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:09 pm

gmarcucio wrote:
DaveMiller wrote:Please share your Spark likes, dislikes, and comparisons to our I-Miev's. Most all so us will be in the market for another car someday.

Dave

I most certainly will. Owning it for just 7 weeks now I can tell you I love the torque and the 110 mile range I'm getting with it!!! I like how it drives on the highway at highway speeds of 55mph and love the cruise control. The i-MiEV would do it but always seemed like to me it didn't like doing it. The things I miss on the Spark that the i-MiEV had was the back-up camera, Navigation and CD player.

110 mile range — nice! Is that freeway driving, keeping it at 55? (I usually drive my i-MiEV 70-75mph on the freeway — range isn't a concern for me most days — and never felt like it didn't like doing it.)

How does the interior space compare? I'm not sure I could go to 2-doors, but might consider it. (My lease is up in half a year, so I'll be considering some different EVs then, although compliance cars are probably out of consideration.)

WyVern

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:52 am

It's not a 2 door is it? The rear door handle looks like it is recessed in the rear side window surround. I'm not a fan of the Spark petrol but as an iMiev replacement it fits the bill.

PV1
Site Moderator

Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:28 am

I looked at a Spark ICE model before buying the i-MiEV. The i-MiEV definitely has more room in it, but the Spark is a 4-door. The rear handles are near the top of the doors, like the old Pontiac GrandPrix.

I'm glad you like it.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015
"Photon" - 2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

Don
Site Moderator

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:09 am

PV1 wrote:I looked at a Spark ICE model before buying the i-MiEV. The i-MiEV definitely has more room in it . . . .
The iMiEV is just plain amazing when compared to most any other small car - Smaller on the outside yet bigger on the inside and with a much longer wheelbase which gives better performance and a better ride . . . . not as 'twichy' at high speeds on the freeway, especially when the wind is blowing

The Spark is the same length, half an inch wider but the wheelbase is 7 inches shorter. Cargo seat up/seat down is 11/31 compared to the iMiEV's 13/50. You would expect a FWD vehicle to have more cargo room than we do, but maybe that's where they put the batteries? Sharp looking little car though - I like it!

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon
2006 Itasca Navion Sprinter Motor Home

NeilBlanchard

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:45 am

GM is talking out of both sides of their mouth. They say they want to sell *lots* of EVs and yet they limit the sales areas for the only EV they make.

I'm glad you're happy with the Spark EV.
Sincerely, Neil

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Return to “Other Electric Vehicles”