Here Comes the CA-MiEV!

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost looks too good to be true. Battery either has to be something new, or really huge.

Moar pictures! :D

http://www.treehugger.com/slideshows/cars/mitsubishi-ca-miev-electric-concept-car/

I kinda like it. The tires look too realistically-sized for a concept car. ;) Maybe this won't turn into a Volt prototype to Volt production disappointment.

The battery is probably bigger than the current i MiEV - I'd guess 24-28kWh? The picture linked above looks like it is a lot more aerodynamic than the current car, and that is the key thing to longer range.

mitsubishi-ca-miev-electric-car-01.jpg.644x0_q100_crop-smart.jpg

It looks like the wheels are largely covered or completely covered. They are not flat, though. There is no large cooling intake and hopefully the underside is smooth. And yes, it appears to be using video mirrors, which definitely helps by about 5-8%, and it is also significantly quieter, too.

Hopefully we'll learn many details as soon as later today - the pack size and the Cd and the test used to determine the range - and the price, will all be very interesting!

Mitsubishi is saying the CA-MiEV is "not planned for production," and is instead a showcase for "the various technologies MMC intends to introduce mid- to long-term across its range of global vehicles." That means, perhaps, some of the goodies here could make their way to rebadged, updated versions of the Peugeot iOn and Citroën C-Zero models, both based on the i-MiEV.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/05/mitsubishi-concept-ca-miev-geneva-2013/

Depending on MMC's commitment to the EV, it could be just another Sport Air. :cry:

Okay, here's a few more details on the CA-MiEV:

http://www.netcarshow.com/mitsubishi/2013-ca-miev_concept/

The Cd is 0.26 which is ~0.1 better than the i MiEV. And it may have WiTricity wireless charging (as an option?), a flat battery pack with a flat belly pan (as part of the lower Cd) and an 80kW motor. That is a big jump from the 47kW motor in the i MiEV; though no indication if it is front or rear wheel drive.

Ding, ding, ding! We know what the battery pack size is!

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2013/geneva-motor-show-mitsubishi’s-next-ev-35415

But the real news lies beneath the skin of the sleek (0.26Cd) zero-emissions hatch, which is powered by a high-efficiency EV system that combines an integrated 80kW motor, inverter and charger module to reduce power losses.

Other new EV technologies are said to include a full-time regenerative braking system that improves energy recovery rate and a magnetic resonance wireless charging device that can recharge the battery without plugging in, via smartphones or tablet devices.

There is also a remote-controlled air-conditioning system, a remote tracking function that captures the vehicle’s position using GPS if the vehicle is stolen and MMC’s ECO-drive Assist system, which helps the vehicle to adapt to the driving environment.

Mitsubishi says “exhaustive” weight reduction, improved aerodynamic performance and a 28kWh high-capacity battery combine to offer a 300km cruising range – about double that of the existing i-MiEV.

Advanced preventative safety technologies include ACC, FCM and LDW.

The front-wheel drive CA-MiEV five-seater measures 4050mm long, 1775mm wide and 1550mm high, making it about 650mm longer, 300mm wider and 60mm lower than the tallboy-styled four-seat i-MiEV hatch.

Wheelbase is listed at 2550mm – the same as the i-MiEV – but kerb weight increases by 200kg to 1300kg.

So the battery pack is 28kWh and it weighs 200kg/440lbs more totaling 1300kg/2,866lbs, and the Cd is 0.26 - significantly better.

Edit: it is front wheel drive.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/mo...motor-show-2013-mitsubishi-shows-the-ca-miev/

The article on thegreencarwebsite.co.uk mentions the motor is a 80kW (~107HP) unit. Even with the additional weight of the CA-MiEV, it should be faster than our i-MiEVs.

MLucas said:
Depending on MMC's commitment to the EV, it could be just another Sport Air. :cry:

Well, one of the articles says this:
Mitsubishi is saying the CA-MiEV is "not planned for production," and is instead a showcase for "the various technologies MMC intends to introduce mid- to long-term across its range of global vehicles." That means, perhaps, some of the goodies here could make their way to rebadged, updated versions of the Peugeot iOn and Citroën C-Zero models, both based on the i-MiEV.

I find that statement both disappointing and hopeful. Disappointing that this precise car won't be built but hopeful because it demonstrates that Mitsu is still strongly committed to ev's despite its failure to promote the i MiEV and it's failure to make significant changes to the 2013 model. It means that we can expect more ev's from Mitsu incorporating some of the technology from this concept car.

This is nice, but when it comes to EVs we've seen so many show cars, concept cars, proof of concept cars, and now compliance cars that I'm becoming rather jaded about pretty EVs on rotating stage platforms that we can't buy. We can have fun ogling the CA-MiEV, but I'm a lot more interested in seeing Mitsu's next <$30k BEV, if there is to be one. An actual 2013 model with the higher-amp Level 1 EVSE now being bundled in Canada would be a nice start. A price cut and a commitment to keep the i-MiEV on the market until it's replaced would be even better.

Ditto. If they were going to make that car, I'd be happy. But I'm far less interested in concept cars and more interested in rubber meeting the road.

Also, they seem so excited about wireless charging, but there are already Leafs with this capability. (To be fair, I don't think they are production Leafs, but Mitsubishi isn't breaking new ground here.)

This is an interesting picture I pulled off a website. Two chargers in one door:

TVMxAfK.jpg

I keep hoping to find pictures of the interior but no such luck yet.

benswing said:
Ditto. If they were going to make that car, I'd be happy. But I'm far less interested in concept cars and more interested in rubber meeting the road.

Also, they seem so excited about wireless charging, but there are already Leafs with this capability. (To be fair, I don't think they are production Leafs, but Mitsubishi isn't breaking new ground here.)

Both the Volt and the Leaf can be adapted to wireless charging right now. There is a company that will retrofit both of these cars, I posted about this a while ago. http://www.pluglesspower.com/ I think its a great idea, just park your car. The new Infinity electric will have it as well.

This whole concept of 'concept' cars aimed at judging visitors' reaction and leading the way to the future leaves me perplexed: in all my years of visiting auto shows, I have yet to have someone standing by their concept car with a questionnaire soliciting my opinion of the darn thing. You'd think that if a company spent a fair amount of money creating something, they would at least implement a methodical audience-reaction-assessment program. Instead, what typically happens is that there's a flash photo-op 'unveiling' and auto journalists express their opinions, and that's it. Nowadays, there's hope, as at least we can express our opinions on the various blogs instead of tediously writing letters to the editor...

JoeS said:
...I have yet to have someone standing by their concept car with a questionnaire soliciting my opinion...
I remember only once being approached in that way at the Detroit Auto Show many, many years ago. Now a days, they can read the blogs and see responses immediately without having to pay for it. Then again, that means the loudest voices have the most say, and frequently they're the ones who are way off base or not the target audience.

Hey Mitsu! If you're reading this, we have a multi-country audience of i-MiEV enthusiasts here. We would be a great place to start with questions, answers, and suggestions! :D

tonymil said:
I keep hoping to find pictures of the interior but no such luck yet.
No interior. The model exposed is one-block. No doors, no windows, no interior.
If can see anithing, perhaps an computer design.

Back