Something Interesting

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

A solar/human powered trike

http://t.now.msn.com/elf-velomobile-is-a-solar-powered-vehicle-thats-half-bicycle-half-car

Don

I wonder how that would be classified in NY. We have very strict rules about adding any type of motor to a bicycle (tricycle?). It automatically becomes a scooter and needs registration, and if it can reach a certain speed it becomes a motorcycle. I think it's time NY updated its rules. EDIT Actually, scooters are not allowed on public roads. NY is stupid.

Pedal power and electric motor power,...
Perhaps an electric Moped in many states?

But, three wheels might cause a classification problem
in some states. Perhaps a baby Aptera?

Add more batteries and plug-in charging to
qualify for the $7500 Federal tax credit?

tonymil said:
I wonder how that would be classified in NY. We have very strict rules about adding any type of motor to a bicycle (tricycle?). It automatically becomes a scooter and needs registration, and if it can reach a certain speed it becomes a motorcycle. I think it's time NY updated its rules. EDIT Actually, scooters are not allowed on public roads. NY is stupid.

"Motorized Scooter" is, I think, defined in NY as a motor-powered version of a kid's kick-scooter- the device that looks like a skateboard with a handlebar. These are just plain illegal in NY. So are electric-assisted bicycles.

It's important to note that in NY, if it has a motor of any sort and has 2 or 3 wheels, it's a "motorcycle." If there's any hope of seeing this in NY, it has to be equipped legally as a motorcycle (lights, horn, etc), which shouldn't be too hard. However, the manufacturer would have to provide a motorcycle VIN, or the owner would have to get creative in calling it a "homemade motorcycle" which is a possibility in NY.

Organic Transit says it's legal in all 50 states as a bicycle, which is not the case, although their argument is that it's the state's problem...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...your-city#IsItRealLegaInAllStatMyStatSaysOthe

What I would call a "motor scooter" like the old Honda Helix as well as classic mopeds and "nopeds"- low speed motorbikes without pedals are classified as Limited Use Motorcycles.

Class A Limited Use Motorcycles are limited to 40mph- motor scooters- these require a motorcycle license to operate
Class B Limited Use Motorcycles are limited to 30mph- more modern "nopeds" and small size scooters. These can be driven without a motorcycle license (automobile license is required)
Class C LUM's are limited to 20mph, are the old Puch style mo-peds that are below 20mph. These can be ridden without a helmet, and no motorcycle license is necessary (auto license is required).

Looks like if the motorcycle requirements could be met, the Elf would be a Class C LUM. Still would have to have a plate (less than 10 bucks a year), although insurance is not necessary.

Looking for a brave volunteer to approach NY DMV!! Not me!

Back